Healthy Broccoli Salad
This will be the best Broccoli salad you ever had! As a free veggie, broccoli is also basically almost calorie free. Make double this recipe and refridgerate for 3 days and have as a side, or as your lunch.
- 1 large head of broccoli🥦
- half a small red onion
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 125 ml sunflower seeds
- 125 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 60 ml sultanas
- 80 ml regular mayonnaise
- 80 ml Bulgarian Yoghurt
- 15 ml apple cider vinegar
- 10 ml Dijon Mustard
- 2.5 ml Paprika
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Chop the red onion very finely and soak it in the balsamic vinger for minumum 30 minutes. This releases the strong taste of the onion and also breaks down the fibers a bit.
- Add the sultanas to 125 ml of boiling water and soak for at least 30 minutes to soften them.
- Roast the sunflower seeds in a pan over medium heat until golden brown and let it cool down.
- Blanche the broccoli: Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a medium pot and dip the whole broccoli in the boiling water head down and place lid over. Wait 6o seconds. And remove broccoli and cool it down under a tap of cold water. This ensures that it remains bright green and crunchy. I do this as raw broccoli upsets my stomache and this softens the fibers in the broccoli up a bit – and is more forgiving to my digestive system.
- Take the cool broccoli and chop the florets and stems into medium small pieces. I like mine chopped not to finely to keep the consistency of the broccoli florets.
- Make the dressing: Add all the ingredients for the dressing and combine well.
- Add the onion, sultanas, broccoli, sunflower seeds, grated cheese, dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Refrigerate and serve ice cold. The flavour improves over time and is actually nicer the following day!
- CALORIES: 172 kcals
- PROTEIN: 6.2 g
- CARBOHYDRATE: 13.2 g
- FAT: 11.8 g