Creamy Chicken Chili
When it is cold, one wants to eat warm and hearty comfort food. This recipe surely ticks all the boxes.
10 pieces of chicken drumsticks and thighs combined
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tub tomato paste (my favourite!!)
3 jalapeno chilies, sliced
A selection of fresh or dried herbs: basil, oregano, thyme, parsley
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 punnet of baby marrows, sliced
Salt and pepper
125ml full cream plain yoghurt
125 ml fresh cream
Grated cheddar for the crust
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Place chicken pieces into an ovenproof dish, then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapenos, herbs, garlic and baby marrows. Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dot the yoghurt and cream onto the dish.
- Add a handful of cheddar on the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Serve with your favourite CauliRice or Just as IS!
TIME: 60 odd minutes
DIFFICULTY: Very Easy
SERVES: 6 – 8 (can be doubled up as a BATCH COOKING DISH)
Per serve: 428 kcals; CARBS: 45 g; SUGARS: 27 g; PROTEIN 28 g; FAT: 17 g
Take note!!! The carbs and sugars are mainly from the tomatoes and baby marrows as FIBER, which you don’t really absorb during the digestion process.
SOME FACTS ABOUT CHILI:
The Jalepeno is a medium-sized chili pepper from the species Capsicum annuum. They are small, green or red in colour. They are commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It can range from differing pungency levels, with Scoville heat units between 3500 and 3600 units. The Scoville scale is a measurement of the pungency (spiciness or “heat”) of chili peppers as recorded in Scoville Heat Units (SHU), based on concentration of capsaicinoids, among which capsaicin is the predominant component. Some interesting NUTRITIONAL FACTS about Jalapenos:
- HIGH IN NUTRIENTS – especially Vitamin C, B6, A, K and Folate and obviously fiber.
- CAN PROMOTE WEIGHT LOSS – they can help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism by up to 4 – 5% per day, increasing fat burn and reducing appetite. (Backed up by research)
- MAY FIGHT CANCER – lab studies have shown that capsaicin has strong anti-cancer properties and is capable of killing over 40 types of cancer cells withourt harming normal cells.
- MAY BE NATURAL PAIN RELIEVERS – products containing capsaicin can help relieve pain when used topically (on the skin).
- CAN HELP PREVENT STOMACH ULCERS – it was always believed that spicy foods can cause stomach ulcers , research suggest that capsaicin may protect against stomach ulcers.
- MAY KEEP YOUR HEART HEALTHY – capsaicin and chili peppers have been found to have beneficial effects on blood sugars, cholesterol amd blood pressure – but more research is needed. READ MORE ON THE USEFULNESS OF JALAPENOS HERE: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/jalapeno-health-benefits
4Life Living Dietitian